Thursday, April 17
• Meet and talk with your local democratic candidates during Coffee with the Candidates Night, 7 p.m., at Kosta’s in Winamac. Light refreshments will be served.
Thursday, April 17 - Saturday, April 19
• A book sale will be held at the Pulaski County Library Winamac branch during the library operating hours.
Friday, April 18
• The Pulaski County Courthouse will be closed for Good Friday. No absentee voting will be held this day.
• Eastern Pulaski Schools will be in session today to make up snow days.
• The Pulaski County Public Library in Winamac is offering an introduction to computers class, 10 a.m. to noon. The class is free but space is limited. Call 574-946-3432 to reserve a spot.
• Pulaski County 4-H Council fish fry and bake sale, 4-7:30 p.m., at the Winamac VFW Post 1728, Winamac.
Saturday, April 19
• Easter Bake Sale, held by St. Peter’s Catholic Church Christian Mothers, starting at 8 a.m. at the Winamac Fire Station.
• Bake sale by St. Mark Lutheran Ladies Aid, 8-11 a.m. or until sold out, at the Medaryville Lions Building, 504 E. Main St.
• Pulaski Memorial Hospital is hosting an adopt a highway clean-up session. Volunteers will meet at the Church of the Heartland at 8 a.m. For more information contact Kevin Kennedy at 574-946-2115.
• The Pillowcase Ladies will be making pillowcases for Riley Hospital for Children, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Bethel Bible Church, SR 14 and CR 700 W., Winamac. Those who attend are asked to bring a covered dish for lunch.
• Monterey Lions Club will host an Easter Egg Hunt at 9 a.m. at the Catholic church in Monterey.
• Pulaski Memorial Hospital is offering a Sibling Preparation Class, 9-10:30 a.m., that prepares brothers and sisters between the ages of 3 and 10 in the arrival of their new sibling. An adult must accompany the child. There is no fee for families who are delivering at PMH. To register, call 574-946-2113.
• Olson Consignment Auction, beginning at 9 a.m. EDT, 7 miles west of Winamac.
• Informational meetings for Starke/Pulaski Habitat for Humanity will be held at the Starke County Public Library, San Pierre, at 9 a.m. central, at the North Judson-Wayne Twp. Library at noon central, and at the Schricker Main Library, Knox, at 3 p.m. central.
• Port-a-pit missions fundraiser, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. or until sold out, Winamac NAPA parking lot. Pit-tatoes will also be available.
• Pulaski Health Care Center’s Public Easter Egg Hunt, 11 a.m., at 624 E. 13th St., Winamac. Children up to age 12 welcome.
• Children under the age of 12 are invited to a communitywide Easter Egg Hunt at First Baptist Church, 716 S. Monticello St., Winamac. The hunt begins at 11 a.m.
• Mary Whipple Estate Public Auction at 282 E. 360 S., Winamac (Star City) by Double-D Auctions. Real estate will be offered at 12:30 p.m.
Sunday, April 20
Monday, April 21
• Winamac Eagles Ladies’ Auxiliary nominations for officers will happen at 7:30 p.m. All members are welcome. Voting for officers will be May 5 at 7:30 p.m.
• Eastern Pulaski Schools will be in session today to make up snow days.
• Celebrate the 450th anniversary of William Shakespeare’s birth with the Pulaski County Public Library Medaryville branch book club as they discuss “Much Ado About Nothing” at 3 p.m. at the library.
Tuesday, April 22
Happy Earth Day!
Saturday, April 26
• Spring Cleanup of Denham Cemetery. Please remove all decorations you want saved before this date.
• “Great Crap Sale,” an upscale garage sale, to support the all-new Pulaski Animal Center from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 13 East Indian Hills Rd., Winamac. To donate, call Karen at 574-270-0226 or Beth at 574-225-0334.
• YMCA annual golf outing at Mystic Hills Golf Course. Shotgun start at 9 a.m.
• Redbud Trail Rendezvous, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., rain or shine, at the Fulton County Historical Society Grounds on U.S. 31, Rochester.
• Benefit for Camp Riley, the Winamac Eagles State Project, featuring cornhole at noon, spaghetti supper from 4-7 p.m., a band from 9 p.m.-1 a.m., plus 50/50 and raffles, all the Winamac Eagles.
• Karen’s Angels chicken and noodle dinner, 4-8 p.m., Medaryville Lions Club, 504 E. Main St., Medaryville. A silent auction and bake sale will also be held.
• Moss Creek Golf Course is offering a buffet-style meal before Winamac Prom. Offered items include swiss steak, chicken, shrimp alfredo and more. Reservations are required. Call 574-242-8762 for more information.
Sunday, April 27
• Come meet Dr. Garry L. Brady, who has joined the staff of Curtis Family Practice, 2-4 p.m., at 2418 N. Curtis Dr., Winamac.
• Redbud Trail Rendezvous, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., rain or shine, at the Fulton County Historical Society Grounds on U.S. 31, Rochester.
Tuesday, April 29
• County genealogist Janet Onken will explain the dos and don’ts of preserving family records at the Pulaski County Public Library Winamac branch at 5 p.m.
Friday, May 2
• “B-RAD” benefit dinner and auction, 3-7 p.m., at Winamac Church of the Nazarene, to benefit Brad Breyfogle, son of Al and Sharon Breyfogle suffering from a medical mishap resulting in a severed vagus nerve and vocal cord.
Tuesday, May 6
• Make sure you vote today in the Primary Elections.
Thursday, May 8
• Pulaski Memorial Hospital’s OB department offers breast-feeding classes for mothers. A board-certified lactation consultant and a lactation counselor are on staff to teach the classes that are available for moms after the baby is born and when they arrive home. Classes are 7-9 p.m. There is a fee for the classes. For more information call the hospital at 574-946-2113.
Sunday, May 11
Happy Mother’s Day!
Tuesday, May 13
• Friends of Tippecanoe River State Park group meets at 6:30 p.m. in the Tippecanoe River State Park Nature Center, north of Winamac of U.S. 35. Come see how you can get involved in the activities this group is planning for this summer.
Monday, May 26
• Take a moment to remember those who died in service to our country for Memorial Day.
Tuesday, May 27
• Friends of the Panhandle Pathway will meet at 6:30 p.m. at the Winamac town municipal building.
• Miles Across America YMCA Fitness Challenge, a 6-week program running April 21-June 1. For information, contact the Y at 574-946-4150.
• With the support of Star City Youth Baseball, Pulaski County Babe Ruth Baseball League is looking for youths age 13-15 by May 2014 who are interested in playing. For more information, contact Jeff at 574-595-5999 or email@example.com.
• Callouts for the Miss Pulaski County Queen Pageant are now underway. Applications are due May 9, 2014, and may be picked up at Winamac or West Central high schools, NV Salon & Tanning, or by calling 574-595-0875 or 574-242-0844.
• Hickory Creek at Winamac is collecting pop tabs to support Shriners Hospitals for Children. Call 574-946-6143 to see how you or your organization can get involved.
• K-IRPC Head Start is currently taking applications for the 2014-2015 Winamac classes. Children between the ages of 3 and 5 years old are eligible. For more information contact Rosetta Rodell at 574-946-4211.
• The Knights of Columbus, located on CR 50 N., Winamac, holds bingo every Sunday evening. Doors open at 5:30 p.m., and games start at 6:30. Progressive colossal cash board played every night.
• Pulaski Memorial Hospital’s OB department offers a free breast-feeding drop-in clinic for all mothers every Wednesday. This clinic is an opportunity to get questions answered by a certified lactation consultant or a lactation counselor. The clinic is available, 3:30-6:30 p.m., in the PMH lobby classroom. No appointment is necessary.
• Veterans, servicemen, National Guard or reserve personnel are eligible to join the American Legion Post 71. For information, call 574-946-4443.
• Purdue Extension Pulaski County is offering a variety of classes, including getting started with computers, basic or intermediate Excel, basic or intermediate Word, Publisher, QuickBooks and Spanish. Certificates awarded upon completion. Call 574-946-3412 to register or for more information.
• If you have the next grand or humble business idea but don’t know where to start, the Pulaski County Community Development Commission’s revolving loan fund may be able to help you. Contact executive director Nathan P. Origer at 574-946-3869 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• The Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office is offering a free 911 education program to schools, preschools, churches and other groups to help people of all ages learn when to call 911, what to do when the operator answers, what questions the operator will ask and what people can do to make 911 calls more effective for them. Call the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office at 574-946-6655 or email email@example.com to schedule or for more information.
• The Pulaski County Health Department is conducting free lead screenings/hemoglobin testing for those students needing it to get into Head Start or anyone else needing to be tested. Please call 574-946-6080 for an appointment or for more information.
• Pulaski County REACT meets the first Monday of each month at 7 p.m. in the board room at Pulaski Memorial Hospital.
• The Life Savior Club for students in grades kindergarten through 6 meets every Thursday evening from 6-7:30 p.m. at Calvary Baptist Church, 830 N. Market St., Winamac.
• Seniors looking for something fun to do? Pulaski County Human Services, Inc. has bunco the first Tuesday of each month; bingo the second Thursday; and grocery bingo the last Wednesday. Activities are always from noon-1 p.m. Call 574-946-6500 for more info.
• Live on the west side and want to get more active? American Legion Post 96 in Medaryville has aerobics every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10-11 a.m., every Monday and Wednesday evening from 5:30-6:30 p.m. and Saturday from 9-10 a.m.
• The Sons of American Legion Post 96 in Medaryville meet the first Monday of every month at 7 p.m.
• The VFW Men’s Auxiliary meets the first Wednesday of every month.
• VFW Post 1728 and women’s auxiliary meet the first Thursday of the month at 7 p.m.
• VFW Post 1728 round-table meeting at 7 p.m. every fourth Thursday of the month.
• The legionnaires of Medaryville American Legion Post 96 meet at 7:30 p.m. on the second Thursday of the month.
• The Pulaski County Human Services Inc. Board meets the third Thursday of each month at 10:30 a.m. at 115 W. Pearl St. in Winamac.
• Pulaski County ABATE meets the second Sunday of each month at 5 p.m. at the Winamac Eagles. Call 574-225-2068 for more information.
• The Visually Impaired People, or VIP, group meets the second Tuesday of every month at 1 p.m. at the Von Tobel Community Center, 115 W. Pearl St., Winamac.
• Alcoholics Anonymous Support Group meets every Monday (c) and Friday (o) from 7:30-8:30 p.m. and Wednesday (o) and Friday (c) from 9 until 10 a.m. at the First United Methodist Church, located at the corner of U.S. 35 and Spring Streets in Winamac. For more info, call 574-946-4096 or 574-946-4920.
• The Pulaski County Soil and Water Conservation District meets on the second Tuesday of each month at 8 p.m. in the break room of the USDA Service Center.
• The Pulaski Memorial Hospital Auxiliary meets the third Monday of each month at 1:30 p.m. in the hospital cafeteria, except the months of July and December.
What’s going on at the PCPL branches?
• Learn how to download eBooks, audiobooks, magazines or music to a Nook, Kindle, iPad or other device. For more information call the library at 574-946-3432.
• Medaryville Kids Night is held every Friday. Kids After School is held at 4 p.m. Toddler Time is at 2 p.m. For more information please call the library at 219-843-3021.
• Lego League on Mondays at 4 p.m. The leader will read a book to set the theme for the evening, and then the children will create a Lego design based on that theme. Each child will have an opportunity to share their design and have it displayed in the library during the coming week.
• The Pulaski County Public Library is now circulating Nooks. Visit the Winamac branch today to check out an eReader.
• If looking for a particular book and the library does not have it, ask about the interlibrary loan service. For more information call the library at 574-946-3432.
• Do you love music? Download three free music downloads weekly from the library website, www.pulaskicounty.lib.in.us, through Freegal, that provides access to more than 10,000 music labels from 65 different countries and includes more than 3 million songs from Sony Music’s catalog of legendary artists.
• Are you looking for a way to play Magic the Gathering trading card game while making new friends? Then Friday Night Magic is just what you’re looking for. Join us on Fridays, 4:30-6 p.m., at the Pulaski County Public Library.
• Family Movie Night is every Tuesday at 4 p.m. Movies are appropriate for all ages of youth.
• Game on! The Pulaski County Public Library is excited to offer a Wii and xbox w/Kinect for patrons to use here at the liborary. Three gaming opportunities will be offered for kids ages 10 and older throughout the week. Children must have a completed permission form on file. For more information, please call the library at 574-946-3432.
• Join kids, youth and parents from the area as they play an exciting card game based on Pokémon! The league meets each Wednesday at 4 p.m. No experience is necessary, but come prepared to have a good time.
• Do you enjoy board games such as Monopoly, Checkers, or Candy Land? If so, we hope to see you at game night! It is held every Thursday at 4 p.m.
• The Pulaski County Public Library Teen Activity Board is where teens gather to offer suggestions and help to make PCPL a fun and exciting places for their peers. They also brainstorm ideas for upcoming events and programs. Meetings are held the second Tuesday of every month at 4 p.m.
• Don’t miss toddler time every Tuesday and Wednesday at 10 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. on Thursday evening at the Pulaski County Public Library in Winamac.
• Every Saturday the PCPL in Winamac and Medaryville offers a story hour from 2-3 p.m. For more information call 574-946-3432 (Winamac) and 219-843-3021 (Medaryville).
• Genealogy help on Mondays 4-6 p.m. If a person is interested in their family history but are not sure where to start, this is the time and place to find out. For more information call the library at 574-946-3432.
• The third Monday of every month the PCPL in Medaryville has a book club that meets at 3 p.m. For more information call the library at 219-843-3021.
• The second Friday of every month the PCPL in Winamac has a book club that meets at 2:30 p.m. For more information call the library at 574-946-3432.
• The Pulaski County Public Library has tutor rooms available for small group meetings, tutoring or quiet studying. These rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
|HOME||NEWS ARCHIVE||EVENT CALENDAR||CLASSIFIEDS||PUBLIC NOTICES||SUBSCRIBE|
|ABOUT US||OBITUARIES||SOCIAL NEWS FORMS||PHOTO ALBUMS||NEWSSTANDS||The INDEPENDENT|
|ORDER INVITATIONS||PAY INVOICE, CLASSIFIED or SOCIAL|