Wednesday, Aug. 27
• Enjoy puzzle day at the Pulaski County Human Services Von Tobel Community Center at 115 W. Pearl St. in Winamac. Transportation is available. Call 574-946-6500 to make arrangements.
• Make a craft at the Pulaski County Human Services West Side Community Center at 125 S. Railroad St. in Medaryville. Transportation is available. Call 219-843-5600 to make arrangements.
• Get moving with exercise, 11 a.m., at the Pulaski County Human Services Von Tobel Community Center at 115 W. Pearl St. in Winamac. Transportation is available. Call 574-946-6500 to make arrangements.
• Don’t miss Monticello bingo, 12:30 p.m., at the Pulaski County Human Services West Side Community Center at 125 S. Railroad St. in Medaryville. Transportation is available. Call 219-843-5600 to make arrangements.
• Make a heart swag shelf, 2:30 p.m., at the Winamac branch of the Pulaski County Public Library. The craft is free, but space is limited. Call 574-946-3432 to sign up.
Friday, Aug. 29
• Enjoy Oak Manor bingo and birthday cake, noon, at the Pulaski County Human Services Von Tobel Community Center at 115 W. Pearl St. in Winamac. Transportation is available. Call 574-946-6500 to make arrangements.
• Don’t miss story time, noon, at the Pulaski County Human Services West Side Community Center at 125 S. Railroad St. in Medaryville. Transportation is available. Call 219-843-5600 to make arrangements.
• Retirement party for Dwight Peterson, 1-4 p.m., Winamac Fire Station.
• Country Lanes Bowling Alley, Rochester, has open bowling from 3-11 p.m.
Friday, Aug. 29-Monday, Sept. 1
• Monterey Days Festival, begins at 6 p.m. Friday and lasts through Monday at 1 p.m. Highlights include craft and food booths, carnival rides, cake walk, parade, live pro wrestling, tractor square dancing, live entertainment, cornhole tournament, ox roast and much, much more.
Saturday, Aug. 30
• Star City Fire Department’s 8th annual benefit ride, sign up at noon for the 1 p.m. leave time, plus a quilt auction at 5 p.m. Ride leaves from Star City Bar and Grill.
• Public auction of the Bernice Engle estate, 1 p.m., at 6978 W. 850 S., Winamac, by Double-D Auctions.
• Indian Trail Wines, Royal Center, hosts the summer concert series Music at the Gazebo, 7-9 p.m., with featured artists Kitchel Brothers.
Monday, Sept. 1
• Happy Labor Day! West Central and Eastern Pulaski schools will be closed today.
• Large public auction, 9 a.m. EDT, at 1100 E. Lange Lane S., Winamac, by Olson Auctions Inc.
Wednesday, Sept. 3
• Bethel Bible Church, Winamac, kicks off their weekly Family Night, featuring dinner, learning and fellowship, 5:30 p.m., at the church.
Thursday, Sept. 4
• Pulaski County Retired Teachers will meet, 8 a.m., at Kosta’s for their “first Thursday of the month breakfast.”
Saturday, Sept. 6
• Modern Day Pickers Barn Sale, 8 a.m.-3 p.m., at various locations throughout northern Cass County. See unique pottery, experience wine tasting and shop for lots of unique items.
• Cover Crop Plot Tour, 9 a.m., intersection of 400 N. and 300 E., Monterey, by the Pulaski County Soil & Water Conservation District.
• Southlake Farms public auction, 9 a.m. CDT, at 719 N. Calumet Ave., Valparaiso, by Olson Auctions Inc.
Tuesday, Sept. 9
• Friends of Tippecanoe River State Park group meets at 6:30 p.m. in the Tippecanoe River State Park Nature Center, north of Winamac on U.S. 35. Come see how you can get involved in the activities this group is planning for this fall.
Thursday, Sept. 11
• West Central Middle/High School will be conducting parent-teacher conferences from 3:30-6 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 13
• Winamac Farmers Market Festival, downtown Winamac. Registration forms are available at the Winamac Town Office or Good Oil.
• Winamac Kiwanis pancake breakfast, 7-10 a.m., downtown Winamac.
Tuesday, Sept. 16
• Launch Your Own Business Workshop: A Sound and Proven Path, free workshop about owning a successful small business sponsored by the Pulaski County Community Development Commission and facilitated by the Northwest Indiana Small Business Center, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Pulaski County Public Library Winamac branch. Please RSVP by September 9 to 574-946-3869.
Thursday, Sept. 18
• Pulaski Memorial Hospital’s OB department offers breast-feeding classes for mothers. A board-certified lactation consultant and a lactation counselor are on staff to teach the classes that are available for moms after the baby is born and when they arrive home. Classes are 7-9 p.m. There is a fee for the classes. For more information call the hospital at 574-946-2113.
Saturday, Sept. 20
• Olson consignment auction, 9 a.m., 7 miles west of Winamac.
Monday, Sept. 22
• Eastern Pulaski School Corporation will be conducting parent-teacher conferences.
• Land auction of 121 +- acres in 3 tracts by Schrader Real Estate and Auction Company Inc., 6 p.m., at Best Western Plus Brandywine Inn & Suites Meeting Center, Monticello.
Tuesday, Sept. 30
• Friends of the Panhandle Pathway will meet at 6:30 p.m. at the Winamac town municipal building.
Thursday, Oct. 2
• Pulaski County Retired Teachers will meet, 8 a.m., at Kosta’s for their “first Thursday of the month breakfast.”
• Pulaski Memorial Hospital offers a five-week prenatal course for expecting families. The course offers education and assistance in experiencing a positive labor and delivery tailored to individual birth plans. Courses are Oct. 2, 9, 16, 23, and 30, and are held at the hospital, 7-9 p.m. There is a fee for the sessions. To register, call 574-946-2113.
Saturday, Oct. 4
• Pillowcase sew for Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health, 9 a.m., at Bethel Bible Church, Winamac. Bring your machines and a covered dish. All are welcome, not just seamstresses. Pinners, ironers and trimmers are needed as well.
Saturday, Oct. 18
• Pulaski Memorial Hospital is offering a Sibling Preparation Class, 9-10:30 a.m. that prepares brothers and sisters between the ages of 3 and 10 in the arrival of their new sibling. An adult must accompany the child. There is no fee for families who are delivering at PMH. To register, call 574-946-2113.
• For the month of September, a donation of pet supplies to Heat Waves, Winamac, for the Pulaski Animal Center will get you a discount on hair or tanning services.
• Fall enrollment is open for the Winamac Bible Institute. Classes begin Sept. 8 at 6 p.m. at First Baptist Church of Winamac. Call 574-595-0709 or 574-946-4476 for information.
• Register through August 31 for Pulaski County YMCA Fall Soccer. Pick up registration forms at the YMCA in Winamac. Practice begins the week of September 15 and the first game is September 25.
• Bethel Bible Church, Winamac, holds a weekly Family Night, featuring dinner, learning and fellowship, 5:30 p.m. on Wednesdays at the church.
• Fellowship Baptist Church, Winamac, invites women of the community to join in their Bible study series “Listen and Learn,” Wednesdays from 6:30-8 p.m. at the church.
• Hickory Creek at Winamac is collecting pop tabs to support Shriners Hospitals for Children. Call 574-946-6143 to see how you or your organization can get involved.
• K-IRPC Head Start is currently taking applications for the 2014-2015 Winamac classes. Children between the ages of 3 and 5 years old are eligible. For more information contact Rosetta Rodell at 574-946-4211.
• The Knights of Columbus, located on CR 50 N., Winamac, holds bingo every Sunday evening. Doors open at 5:30 p.m., and games start at 6:30. Progressive colossal cash board played every night.
• Pulaski Memorial Hospital’s OB department offers a free breast-feeding drop-in clinic for all mothers every Wednesday. This clinic is an opportunity to get questions answered by a certified lactation consultant or a lactation counselor. The clinic is available, 3:30-6:30 p.m., in the PMH lobby classroom. No appointment is necessary.
• Veterans, servicemen, National Guard or reserve personnel are eligible to join the American Legion Post 71. For information, call 574-946-4443.
• Purdue Extension Pulaski County is offering a variety of classes, including how to learn more with your tablet or iPad, getting started with computers, basic or intermediate Excel, basic or intermediate Word, Publisher, QuickBooks and Spanish. Certificates awarded upon completion. Call 574-946-3412 to register or for more information.
• If you have the next grand or humble business idea but don’t know where to start, the Pulaski County Community Development Commission’s revolving loan fund may be able to help you. Contact executive director Nathan P. Origer at 574-946-3869 or at email@example.com for more information.
• The Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office is offering a free 911 education program to schools, preschools, churches and other groups to help people of all ages learn when to call 911, what to do when the operator answers, what questions the operator will ask and what people can do to make 911 calls more effective for them. Call the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office at 574-946-6655 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule or for more information.
• The Pulaski County Health Department is conducting free lead screenings/hemoglobin testing for those students needing it to get into Head Start or anyone else needing to be tested. Please call 574-946-6080 for an appointment or for more information.
• Pulaski County REACT meets the first Monday of each month at 7 p.m. in the board room at Pulaski Memorial Hospital.
• The Life Savior Club for students in grades kindergarten through 6 meets every Thursday evening from 6-7:30 p.m. at Calvary Baptist Church, 830 N. Market St., Winamac.
• Seniors looking for something fun to do? Pulaski County Human Services Inc. has bunco the first Tuesday of each month; bingo the second Thursday; and grocery bingo the last Wednesday. Activities are always from noon-1 p.m. Call 574-946-6500 for more info.
• Live on the west side and want to get more active? American Legion Post 96 in Medaryville has aerobics every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10-11 a.m., every Monday and Wednesday evening from 5:30-6:30 p.m. and Saturday from 9-10 a.m.
• The Sons of American Legion Post 96 in Medaryville meet the first Monday of every month at 7 p.m.
• The VFW Men’s Auxiliary meets the first Wednesday of every month.
• VFW Post 1728 and women’s auxiliary meet the first Thursday of the month at 7 p.m.
• VFW Post 1728 round-table meeting at 7 p.m. every fourth Thursday of the month.
• The legionnaires of Medaryville American Legion Post 96 meet at 7:30 p.m. on the second Thursday of the month.
• The Pulaski County Human Services Inc. Board meets the third Thursday of each month at 10:30 a.m. at 115 W. Pearl St. in Winamac.
• Pulaski County ABATE meets the second Sunday of each month at 5 p.m. at the Winamac Eagles. Call 574-225-2068 for more information.
• The Visually Impaired People, or VIP, group meets the second Tuesday of every month at 1 p.m. at the Von Tobel Community Center, 115 W. Pearl St., Winamac.
• Alcoholics Anonymous Support Group meets every Monday (c) and Friday (o) from 7:30-8:30 p.m. and Wednesday (o) and Friday (c) from 9 until 10 a.m. at the First United Methodist Church, located at the corner of U.S. 35 and Spring Streets in Winamac. For more info, call 574-946-4096 or 574-946-4920.
• The Pulaski County Soil and Water Conservation District meets on the second Tuesday of each month at 8 p.m. in the break room of the USDA Service Center.
• The Pulaski Memorial Hospital Auxiliary meets the third Monday of each month at 1:30 p.m. in the hospital cafeteria, except the months of July and December.
What’s going on at the PCPL branches?
• Toddler Legos for ages 2-7 is held every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.
• Learn how to download eBooks, audiobooks, magazines or music to a Nook, Kindle, iPad or other device. For more information call the library at 574-946-3432.
• Medaryville Kids Night is held every Friday. Kids After School is held at 4 p.m. Toddler Time is at 2 p.m. For more information please call the library at 219-843-3021.
• Lego League on Mondays at 4 p.m. The leader will read a book to set the theme for the evening, and then the children will create a Lego design based on that theme. Each child will have an opportunity to share their design and have it displayed in the library during the coming week.
• The Pulaski County Public Library is now circulating Nooks. Visit the Winamac branch today to check out an eReader.
• If looking for a particular book and the library does not have it, ask about the interlibrary loan service. For more information call the library at 574-946-3432.
• Do you love music? Download three free music downloads weekly from the library website, www.pulaskicounty.lib.in.us, through Freegal, that provides access to more than 10,000 music labels from 65 different countries and includes more than 3 million songs from Sony Music’s catalog of legendary artists.
• Family Movie Night is every Tuesday at 4 p.m. Movies are appropriate for all ages of youth.
• Game on! The Pulaski County Public Library is excited to offer a Wii and xbox w/Kinect for patrons to use here at the library. Three gaming opportunities will be offered for kids ages 10 and older throughout the week. Children must have a completed permission form on file. For more information, please call the library at 574-946-3432.
• Join kids, youth and parents from the area as they play an exciting card game based on Pokémon! The league meets each Wednesday at 4 p.m. No experience is necessary, but come prepared to have a good time.
• Do you enjoy board games such as Monopoly, Checkers, or Candy Land? If so, we hope to see you at game night! It is held every Thursday at 4 p.m.
• The Pulaski County Public Library Teen Activity Board is where teens gather to offer suggestions and help to make PCPL a fun and exciting places for their peers. They also brainstorm ideas for upcoming events and programs. Meetings are held the second Tuesday of every month at 4 p.m.
• Don’t miss toddler time every Tuesday and Wednesday at 10 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. on Thursday evening at the Pulaski County Public Library in Winamac.
• Every Saturday the PCPL in Winamac and Medaryville offers a story hour from 2-3 p.m. For more information call 574-946-3432 (Winamac) and 219-843-3021 (Medaryville).
• Genealogy help on Mondays 4-6 p.m. If a person is interested in their family history but are not sure where to start, this is the time and place to find out. For more information call the library at 574-946-3432.
• The third Monday of every month the PCPL in Medaryville has a book club that meets at 3 p.m. For more information call the library at 219-843-3021.
• The second Friday of every month the PCPL in Winamac has a book club that meets at 2:30 p.m. For more information call the library at 574-946-3432.
• The Pulaski County Public Library has tutor rooms available for small group meetings, tutoring or quiet studying. These rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
|HOME||NEWS ARCHIVE||EVENT CALENDAR||CLASSIFIEDS||PUBLIC NOTICES||SUBSCRIBE|
|ABOUT US||OBITUARIES||SOCIAL NEWS FORMS||PHOTO ALBUMS||NEWSSTANDS||The INDEPENDENT|
|ORDER INVITATIONS||PAY INVOICE, CLASSIFIED or SOCIAL|