Demolition after years of decay
According to a newspaper article dating to the 1870s it appears that the property at West Main and Logan streets in Winamac, has been an eyesore in the past. An article in The Democrat published on Oct. 31, 1872, states that an old log hut south of the depot “has finally come down.” It appears at the time the property was purchased by Mr. C. Bridegroom, who had plans to build “a commodious house which we understand will be used for an eating establishment.”
An ad published in The Democrat on Sept. 4, 1873, states that the restaurant will also provide groceries and provisions. Meals were available at all hours and the groceries were fresh. It also specialized in carrying “country produce.”
The property that belonged to Conrad Bridegroom and his wife Elizabeth was sold to Jeremiah Bair in October of 1890. It then became the Hardesty Hotel from the late 1890s until Nancy Hardesty died in 1929.
At some point the hotel, including the furniture and fixtures, were sold by Mr. and Mrs. Joe Clements to Miss Fannie Graffis, of Chicago, according to an article published in The Democrat on April 2, 1931. The new owner was believed to operate the hotel under the name of the Community Hotel.

